Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Just got back from court....

I went to my first (of many) criminal trials today. The experience was amazing and I actually recommend everyone attends one at some point in their life, to simply learn how the criminal justice system works in America.  Walking in, I was searched and patted down by a police officer (thanks to my Jessica Simpson medal heals that went off in the medal detector) I proceeded up the elevator to the 5th floor, room 11 and couldn't remember the last time I was so nervous to walk into a room. I pictured myself tripping on my face and everyone staring at me with disbelief as I completely interupt this murder trial. Luckily, that didn't happen. I snuck in quietly and sat down with the other people viewing the trial. I was two rows behind the defendent and I thought that would bother me. I pictured in my head some terrible looking criminal with tatoos and facial hair and instead he was dressed very nicely and looked like the typical person. I wasn't bothered at all. I guess that is the threatening part, knowing that anyone has the capability of murder. They brought up witnesses and presented evidence to the jury just like any trial on television or in the movies. I could have done without seeing pictures of the crime scene that was shared but other then that, I learned a lot about the court room and how it is run. The case was about a guy and his friends who are residents in Montana who drove up to celebrate New Years in Seattle. While up here, an incident occured at a apartment complex in Lynnwood where it is obvious the defense is trying to claim the defendent was trying to protect his friend (a female) who was being harassed by some guy. The defendent then grabbed the gun that was in his pocket and pulled it out to hit the guy with it and the gun "accidently" went off and shot and killed him. The prosecution is trying to convince the jury that it was indeed not an accident. That the defendent brought and carried a gun on him (from Montana) and knowingly grabbed the gun and shot him. It will be interesting to see the outcome of this trial- also even more interesting to know that the future of someone is based on the decision of 13 individuals (the Jury) who ultimetly will decide his conviction. What a fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment